TFF logo TFF logo
Iran - War planning?
Collection # 3

Middle East Sitemap Areas in focus Resources Columns and art
Publications About TFF Support our work Search & services Contact us

Military build-up against Iran
Features & news collected by TFF
Autumn 2006

Collection 1 - 2004 onwards - basic sources

Collection 2 - Autumn 2005

Collection 4 - Summer-Autumn 2007


Jorge Hirsch, Information Clearing House, October 16, 2006
Voting against nuclear war with Iran
The outcome of the November election is likely to determine whether or not the US goes to war with Iran before President Bush leaves office. For multiple reasons recounted below such war will with very high probability include the US use of tactical nuclear weapons.

William R. Polk, Information Clearing House, October 16, 2006
America moves towards war with Iran
After careful study of recent moves and statements by the Bush Administration, I have concluded that there is at least a 10% chance of an American attack on Iran before the November 7 Congressional elections and about a 90% chance before the administration’s end in 2008.

Scott Ritter, Democracy Now! - October 16, 2006
"Target Iran: The Truth About the White House’s Plans for Regime Change”
Former UN Weapons Inspector Scott Ritter: “The path that the United States is currently embarked on regarding Iran is a path that will inevitably lead to war. Such a course of action will make even the historical mistake we made in Iraq pale by comparison.”

Farideh Farh, Foreign Policy in Focus, October 3, 2006
Negotiating and Looking Tough: The Mirrored Policies of the U.S. and Iran
The differences between the American and Iranian policies do not lie in the approach but in the degree of flexibility that invariably rise out of a context of unequal power between the two countries. If there is going to be a war, it will be in the Iranian territory. If there are going to be sanctions, they will be against Iran. If the third parties are forced to choose, they will choose the United States.

Dave Lindorff, The Nation, September 27, 2006
War signals?
The Nation has learned that the Bush Administration and the Pentagon have moved up the deployment of a major "strike group" of ships, including the nuclear aircraft carrier Eisenhower as well as a cruiser, destroyer, frigate, submarine escort and supply ship, to head for the Persian Gulf, just off Iran's western coast.

Phyllis Bennis, Institute for Policy Studies, September 22, 2006
Threats of War in Iran, U.S.-Driven Violence Surges in the Region
An attack on Iran is far from certain. Even faced with a military provocation, Iran might respond in diplomatic rather than military terms, perhaps challenging the U.S. in the International Court of Justice, or in some other forum. The whole U.S. anti-Iran build-up may be part of an effort to keep the “war on terror” framework and the resulting fear factor at the top of the agenda in the run-up to the November elections.

Sam Gardiner, The Century Foundation, September 18, 2006
The End of the "Summer of Diplomacy": Assessing U.S. Military Option on Iran
In a new report for The Century Foundation, Retired Air Force Colonel Sam Gardiner warns that some in the Bush administration are making the case for air strikes aimed not only at setting back Iran’s nuclear program, but also at toppling the country’s government. He says that these officials are undeterred by the concerns of military leaders about whether such attacks would be effective. 26 pp PDF


Seymour Hersh, The New Yorker
Last stand.
The military's problems with the President's Iran policy

Seymour Hersh, The New Yorker
The Next Act
Is a damaged Administration less likely to attack Iran, or more?

Seympur Hersh, The New Yorker
The Iran Plans
Would President Bush go to war to stop Tehran from getting the bomb?

Seymour Hersh, The New Yorker
The Coming Wars.
What the Pentagon can now do in secret









Take a break and visit
Iranian Artists' site

...wonderful diversity, creativity and beauty


Tell a friend about this collection

Send to:


Message and your name


Middle East Sitemap Areas in focus Resources Columns and art
Publications About TFF Support our work Search & services Contact us